As a do-it-yourself kind of person with a damaged exhaust pipe, chances are you want to fix it yourself. And this is why you are here; you want to know which is the best welder for exhaust pipe.
Most vehicle exhaust pipes are made from special alloys such as stainless steel, carbon steel, and even aluminized carbon steel. Furthermore, exhaust pipes are usually constructed from thin sheets of metal.
As a result, not every welding machine out there is suited to welding exhaust pipes. Choosing the wrong welder can lead to more damage to the pipe. So what kind of welding machine do you need for such a delicate task as this?
After sampling many different welding machines, I have narrowed down to six. These are the ones that are best suited for the task at hand. I have selected them based on their ability to weld metals of varying thicknesses.
The Best Exhaust Pipe Welding Machine Reviews
Hobart 500559 Handler 140 MIG Welder 115V
- 5-position voltage control selector adds a smooth, stable arc at all welding thicknesses
- Welds 24 gauge up to 1/4 in mild steel; Weldable Materials: Steel, Stainless Steel and Aluminum
- Welding Processes: MIG(GMAW), Flux Cored(FCAW)
The popularity of the Hobart Handler 140 MIG led me to snatch it up for less than $500. It sports the famous gray and black color combo that has become synonymous with Hobart welders. But how does it perform?
As you may have already guessed from its name, it has a max power output of 140 amps. This is sufficient to weld metals of up to ¼ inches in thickness. It can also handle 24 gauge thin metals with ease, which is one of the reasons it earns the top spot on my list.
As a DIYer, you probably have a standard 115-volt power socket. Which is a good thing as this welding machine runs on the standard 115v power plug. It is also quite lightweight, weighing only 57 pounds, and you will have no problems moving it around.
While it is a MIG welder, it can also be used for flux-core welding. Additionally, out of the box, it comes with all the equipment you need. Thus, there is no need to purchase extra equipment to start using it.
- Industrial grade cast aluminum wire drive system
- 20% at 90 amps duty cycle
- 115 v input voltage
- 25 amps to 140 amps power output range
- 40 to 700 IPM wire feed range
- 19 x 11 x 13 inches dimensions
Why i like this model
- The wire drive system on this unit is constructed from industrial grade cast aluminum
- It comes with a 10 foot MIG gun and ground clamp to make work easier
- The welder can weld think metals of up to ¼ inch thick as well as thin sheets of metal of up to 24 gauge in thickness
- It is a portable and lightweight welder that is easy to transport
- It is a lower power welder that produces smooth and clean welds
- When flux-core welding you may experience difficulties with the wire feed
- The welder cannot be used with a generator
This is the perfect welder for general DIY tasks. It is a low power welder that uses a 115 power outlet. It is perfect for welding exhaust pipes because it can handle thin metals. Also, with its five voltage settings, you can set it to the desired metal thickness.
Amico 160 Amp Digital Display LCD Stick ARC Welder
- ARC-160 is a professional Stick Arc and Lift-TIG combo welding machine with an industrial level design. It is compatible with all electrodes: E6010, E6011, E6013, E7014, E7018, etc. The machine has an excellent Lift-TIG arc welding function; 5-160A comfortably welds thin stainless steel and other various metals.
- Automatic selection feature detects input voltage automatically, allowing you to easily switch between 100~250V/50~60Hz input power. Almost all of the voltages and frequencies can be used. Adjustable arc force settings allow you to meet your custom welding needs.
- Incorporates advanced IGBT inverter technology with superior arc characteristics and has excellent arc stability. 80% duty cycle at 160 amps ensures long time welding and the machine can still work normally with an extended power cord up to 700 feet. The power cord can resist power fluctuations and cable attenuation at any length.
One of the best budget options of exhaust pipe welding is the Amico 160 Amp Digital Display LCD Stick ARC Welder. Measuring 17 x 8 x 12 inches, it is quite small compared to most other welding machines. However, its small size is deceiving when you consider its features.
One thing that surprised me was its dual input voltage capabilities. It costs less than $200 but can run on either a 115v or a 230v power input. This is quite impressive, considering some costlier models do not offer dual voltage input.
But what about power output? Ranging from 20 to 160 amps, it churns out enough power to weld thicker sheets of metal. But can still handle thin sheets of metal. And with its inbuilt voltage protection, it can protect itself from voltage fluctuations.
Its LCD display helps you keep tabs of your welding settings, such as amperage. Overall, this stick welder is easy to use and inexpensive.
- 115v and 230v dual voltage input
- 16 pounds weight
- 16.6 x 11.8 x 7.5 inch dimensions
- 60% at 130 amps duty cycle with the 115 v power plug
- 60% at 160 amps duty cycle with the 230v power plug
Why i like this model
- Weighing 16 pounds, it is one of the most lightweight welders out there
- It is a budget-friendly welder that costs less than $200
- At its price point, it is a dual voltage input welder capable of using both a 115v and a 230v power outlet
- With a power output range of 20 to 160 amps, it can handle welding of thin metal as well as thicker metals
- It uses IGBT inverter technology which means it consumes less power than transformer-based welders
- It comes with a voltage compensation feature that protects against voltage fluctuations
- Being a DC only welder, it cannot weld aluminum
- The amperage settings displayed on the LCD display are usually off with about five amps
If you are on a tight budget but still want a welder that will not disappoint, this Amico model is the best. It offers all the features you would expect from a budget welder. But it also has some nice surprises up its sleeves. Its dual voltage input being one of them. It is the best welder for exhaust work at its price point.
Hobart 500554001 Handler 190 with SpoolRunner 100
- Welds 24 ga. to 5/16in. steel in single pass
- Powerful and Professional Results. Operates on 230V power
- 25 to 190 output amperage
Hobart has quite a vast selection of welding machines. And one of the best is the Hobart Handler 190 amps, welder. It is not the cheapest welder of its kind, but its price tag is justified when you consider its plethora of features.
The first thing that attracted me to this welder was the SpoolRunner 100 gun. The latter gives you the freedom to weld all kinds of metals from mild steel to aluminum. And weighing 5 pounds, it does not contribute much to the overall weight of the welder.
Apart from the spool runner 100, you also get a 10 ft MIG gun for general welding purposes. These two can be used to weld all kinds of metals. With the MIG gun, you can weld steel of a thickness of 24 gauge.
Furthermore, with a power output of 190 amps, you are also able to weld 5/16 inch thick steel in a single pass. You have seven voltage settings to set the amperage to match the thickness of the metal you are welding.
- SpoolRunner 100 gun
- 10ft MIG gun
- 10 ft work clamp with cable included
- 10 ft work clamp with cable included
- 30% at 130 amps duty cycle
Why i like this model
- It is a powerful welder capable of welding up to 5/16 inch thick mild steel in a single pass
- The inclusion of a spool runner 100 is of great benefit especially for welding aluminum
- It comes with seven voltage settings to give you flexibility when welding metals of different thicknesses
- The welder is easy to operate and will no problem for newbies to use
- With its 25 to 190 amps power output it can handle welding a wide array of metals
- Weighing 89 pounds, it is a bit on the bulkier side, especially when compared to some other options on the list.
- It works only with a 230v power outlet
This is one of the most powerful welding machines on the market. So why have I included it on this list? Well, while it offers plenty of power, it is versatile enough to handle welding thin sheets of metal that require less power. Also, it is easy to use, which makes it ideal for professionals and beginners alike.
Lotos TIG200ACDC 200A AC/DC Aluminum Tig Welder
- ★ ALUMINUM WELDING--200A AC Square-wave inverter for accurate aluminum welding.
- ★ RATED OUTPUT: Maximum 200AMP AC/DC TIG Electric Current Output; Quality TIG welding on Aluminum, Stainless or Steel and Precise Welding of Thinner-gauge Materials; Power efficiency: 80%.
- ★ PRECISE WELDING-- HF start hand torch control and precise foot pedal welding heat control. Suitable for welding stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum, and other metal materials.
There arent many welding machines that are as suited to exhaust pipe welding as the Lotos TIG200ACDC 200A AC/DC Aluminum Tig Welder. While it doesn’t come cheap compared to some of the other entrants on the list, it is well worth the price.
A max power output of 200 amps means that you can TIG weld metals of up to 9.5mm in thickness. Moreover, it can weld stainless steel, steel, and even aluminum. But it can also weld thin gauge metals thanks to its ten amps minimum power output
While I recommend using its TIG welding for welding exhaust pipes, you can also use it as a stick welder. When stick welding, you get a power output range of between 15 and 200 amps. This is still sufficient to weld thick as well as thin gauge metals.
It works with either a 110v or 220v power outlet. Thus you can plug it into whatever power source is closest to you. The cooling feature excels at ensuring the welder does not overheat.
- 110v/220v dual voltage
- 58 pounds weight
- 3/8 inch welding capacity
- 10 to 200 amps power output range
- 28 x 13 x 17 inches dimensions
Why i like this model
- This welding machine comes ready to use out of the box
- The welder can handle welding steel as well as aluminum
- With its high frequency start you get a fast and reliable ignition
- It is a dual voltage welder that can work with both a 110v and a 220v power source
- Has the capability to weld thick sheets of metal as well as thin gauge metal
- The torch it comes with is bulky, and you may want to buy another
- You may need to remove internal dust occasionally
This is one of the most versatile welders on the market. It can weld a wide range of things, including exhaust pipes. For general purpose welding tasks, this is the right welder. It is ideal for professionals and hobbyists alike.
Miller Electric, 907614, MIG Welder
- Price For: Each Series: Millermatic 211 Aluminum - Material Thickness: 18 ga. to 3/8" Mild Steel - Material Thickness: 24 ga. to 3/8" Stainless Steel - Material Thickness: 20 ga. to 1/4" Hz: 60 Input Amps: 17
- Millermatic 211 MIG Welder with Advanced Auto-Set - 907614
- Includes: 10 ft. M-10 MIG Gun, 10 ft. Work Cable with Clamp, Built-In Gas Solenoid Valve, Dual Gauge Regulator with Gas Hose, Sample Spool of 0.030 in. Solid Wire, (2) 0.030 in. Contact Tips, (2) Hook-and-Loop Cord Wraps, Material Thickness Gauge Overall Width: 20-1/2 inch Standards: CSA Certified Overall Height: 12-1/2 inch
The Miller Electric, 907614, MIG Welder isn’t for everyone. Its asking price will discourage a lot of people. Nevertheless, if you want a welder that can handle a lot of different tasks, this is it. It offers the power and excellent performance.
One of the first things I noticed about this high-end welder is how quiet it is. It comes packed with an on-demand cooling fan. But you will hardly notice it’s on when welding.
Weighing 50 pounds, it is surprisingly lightweight for a welder of its caliber. It is much more portable than many other similarly priced models. Add in the fact that it is a dual voltage welder capable of using either a 120v or a 240v power outlet, and you have a real gem on your hands.
Being a high-end welder, it is quite powerful and churns out 230 amps when on max power. When AC welding, it goes up to 150 amps, which is still impressive. Where it struggles is in minimum power output, which goes down to 30 amps.
- 30 to 230 amps power output range
- 10-foot work cable with clamp
- On-demand cooling fan
- 50 pounds weight
- 40% at 230 amps duty cycle
Why i like this model
- This is a powerful welder that is loved by professionals
- For a high-end heavy-duty welder, it is quite lightweight and portable
- It is capable of welding all kinds of metals including steel and stainless steel
- Its on-demand cooling fan runs very quietly, and you will hardly hear it
- The welder has a dual voltage input power of 120v and 240v
- The wire feed speed may feel a bit fast for beginner welders
- It is quite costly and thus is not for everyone
This is an expensive welding machine suited for heavy-duty works. One of the reasons it is not among the top five on my list is its price. For exhaust welding, there are other cheaper options. But if you want to get serious with your welding, this is one of the best.
SUNGOLDPOWER 200Amp MIG MAG ARC MMA Stick DC Welder
- 1.Multifunction：110V/220V Dual Voltage DC IGBT Inverter welder, MIG/MAG/ARC/MMA multifunction Welder
- 2.Gas-less flux-cored welding and Gas-shielded MIG welding are available for the machine，0.6-1.0mm Flux Cored Wire and Solid Core Wire.Suit for 1kg(2lb) and 5kg (10lb) wire spool, use the one same adapter, no need one more adapter
- 3.The model MIG200 is also capable of aluminum welding with the spool gun （spool gun is not included） A selector switch for MIG gun or spool gun operation makes switching guns quick and easy
One of the most popular MIG welders is the SUNGOLDPOWER 200Amp MIG MAG ARC MMA Stick DC Welder. It is one welder you will find frequently appearing on best mig welder for exhaust pipe reviews. So why is it such a favorite of many?
At heart, it is a MIG welder with a max power output of 200 amps. However, it can also be used for gasless flux-cored welding as well as stick welding. But that’s not all it can weld aluminum as easily as steel.
Considering it costs less than $500, its versatility is a bargain. And like some of its pricier competitors, it offers dual voltage capabilities. You can plug it into either a 110v or a 220v power outlet.
Though it doesn’t have a spool gun included for aluminum welding, it can accommodate one. At its price point, it is hard to expect it to come with a spool gun.
- 110v/220v dual input voltage
- 60% at 200 amps duty cycle
- Adjustable wire feed speed
- 10-pound wire spool
- 118 inch MIG torch
Why i like this model
- You can easily adjust the wire feed speed of this welder
- Being a MIG and stick welder it can be used outside and with rusty metals
- It comes with an impressive duty cycle of 60%
- This welder can be used to welder steel, mild steel, and even aluminum
- It is more portable than some of the other options on this list
- Does not come with a spool gun while its spool gun connection isn’t the best
- The instructions manual isn’t much help
There is a reason this is one of the most used welders out there. It offers plenty of power for welding thicker sheets of metal. At the same time, it can handle welding thinner sheets. It is cost-effective alternative to some of the more powerful and costly options available on the market.
Safety tips for welding exhaust pipes
- When welding exhaust pipes using a MIG welder always wear thick gloves to protect your hands from the hot arc produced by MIG welding
- Always wear closed-toe shoes when welding exhaust pipes, as they protect your feet from sparks flying from the welding
- All welding processes produce fumes and UV rays that are harmful to your eyes and skin, wear a welding mask to protect your face and eyes from these fumes
- Wear long pants to protect your feet from sparks produced by the welding process
Tips on how to weld exhaust pipes
- Remove the pipe from the vehicle to avoid causing damage to other parts of the car when welding the exhaust pipes
- Thoroughly clean the exhaust tubing you want to weld to minimize slag build-up, also to have a strong weld free of contaminations
- Use low amperage as exhaust pipes are usually thin and maybe burnt through if you set your welder to high weld amperage
- When welding two tubes together clamp them so that you can free both hands for the welding task
The equipment needed for exhaust pipe welding
- circular chain saw or hacksaw for cutting the tubing where necessary
- Work gloves
- Grinder for grinding the joints of the tubing after cutting
- Clamps for holding the two tubings together
- Welding mask
- A welding machine
How to choose the best welder for exhaust pipe welding
Welding machines built for home use are increasingly growing in popularity. Today you can acquire a light and compact welder for your DIY repair works. However, not all will be suited to welding an exhaust pipe. So how do you know which welder is suited for exhaust pipe welding and which is not?
Several factors will help you know that a welder can handle welding exhaust pipes. These are;
A welder’s power output will determine the kind of metal you can weld with it. A higher power output means you can weld thicker metal. However, high power output is not recommended for welding thin gauge metal.
Since exhaust pipes are of varying thicknesses, a welder that is capable of welding both thin gauge and tick metal is ideal. Ideally, it would be best if you got a welder that has a power output of between 10 amps and 140 amps.
The ten amps are sufficient for welding thin gauge metal, while the 140 amps can handle thicker sheets of metal.
To use a welder, you will need to plug it to a power source. For exhaust welding works, minimal power is required. Therefore, a power input of either 115v or 120v will do fine. However, if you can go for one that has dual voltage input. Such a welder will be compatible with both a 115v and a 230v power outlet.
Duty cycle is something you cannot ignore regardless of why you are buying a welder. In most cases, welders suited for heavy-duty works have a longer duty cycle. This means they can run for longer before requiring a cooldown.
However, most welders used for exhaust tube welding have a duty cycle of about 40%. This is sufficient, especially if you are welding using a low heat output. A 60% duty cycle is, of course recommended.
Adjustable wire feed speed
The speed at which the welding wire is fed from the welding gun is crucial to the quality of the finished weld. To slow, and the result is an unsightly and messy finish that will not be strong. If the speed is too high, the result will be spatter everywhere.
For the best results, go for a welder whose wire feed speed can be adjusted. This way, you can adjust the rate based on the welding task at hand.
The Best welder for exhaust pipe is one that can handle welding metals of varying thicknesses. More importantly, it should meet your needs. The six welders reviewed above have different features that earn them a spot on the list.
Each welder is suited to different welders. Some will appeal more to those on a strict budget. But there is also something for those looking to splash money to get quality.
Last update on 2021-09-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API