After giving it a lot of thought you have decided it’s time you got your own welding machine. As you have gotten tired of always having to ask your friends to weld stuff for you. But there is a problem, where to start.
The market is flooded with all kinds of welding machines with the most common being Metal Inert Gas (MIG) welders. The latter is easy to use even for beginners and requires little to no cleanup. These welders are also known for their high rate of productivity.
Obviously, this is only if you have the best MIG welder. Because not every MIG welder out there will give you a high rate of productivity and exceptional welds. With this in mind, I have compiled a list of Best MIG Welder Under 1000.
There are some pretty amazing welders in the under $1000 price bracket. Some of them cost upwards of $700. However, there are those that cost high and offer almost the same features as their pricier counterparts.
Top 4 MIG Welders In The Market
5 Best MIG Welder reviews under 1000
Below we have categorized these 5 best welder (mig) according to their pricing, user needs and specifications and best values for the money.
Weldpro 200 Amp Inverter Multi-Process Welder with Dual Voltage
Powerful welding machines come at a premium and this WeldPro model is no exception. Owning this welder will set you back $600 or so. Which begs the question, when there are other more affordable options is this model really worth it.
At its core, this is a flux-core welding machine with a dual 220v and 100 volts voltage. In terms of welding, it can handle true TIG welding and best stick welding.
A compact machine
While it can handle a lot of different weld types, it is not a bulky machine. In fact, it is quite compact measuring 17 ¾ x 8 ¾ x 15 inches. It does not take up much space, meaning it is ideal for home use as well as professional use.
The term synergic design is one you will find on the description of this welder. What it means is that it automatically adjusts the voltage with the wire speed. For people who do not weld every day, this is a handy feature to have.
- It is possible to adjust the voltage by 20% minus or plus the starting voltage
- Can easily weld steel of up to 1/8 inch in thickness
- With its dual voltage of 110 and 220 volts, it is versatile enough to handle all kinds of welding projects
- Cam handle TIG, flux-cored, stick, MIG welding meaning it can do the work of multiple welding machines
- Switching from a flux-core to solid wire is easy thanks to the welder’s ability to switch polarity
- With all its features and power it weighs only 30 pounds
- It is relatively costlier than other offerings in the market
- There is no AC TIG for welding
- Dual 220/110 voltage
- Dual digital display
- Adjustable Inductance settings
- 30 pounds weight
- Synergic design
When you want to do different types of welding, you may have to spend money on two or more welding machines. Or you can purchase this all-in-one machine that can do the work of two machines. When it comes to value for money, this welding machine has it in plenty. And is thus the best MIG welder for the money.
Hobart 500559 Handler 140 MIG Welder 115V
It is one of the most talked about and reviewed welding machines. But does it live up to the hype? I got to try out the Hobart 500559
At first glance, it is clear that Hobart invested a lot in the construction of this welder. Its build quality is superior. And overall the machine feels sturdy. A quick look at the machine’s description reveals that it is built from steel hence the exceptional build quality.
When it comes to amperage it runs between 25 amps and 140 amps. This is sufficient for welding all kinds of material. In my test, I found it did well when I tested it with mild ¼ inch thick steel. Meaning it can also handle a 24 gauge thick steel sheet.
Five voltage settings
There is a voltage control selector that lets you choose from five different voltage settings. You can thus choose the settings you want for your material. This results in a steady arc at all times regardless of the material you are welding.
- It is quite lightweight and thus can easily be picked up from one location to another
- Uses a standard 115-volt outlet meaning it is compatible with standard household inlets
- You do not need to buy extra materials to begin your MIG welding with this machine
- This machine is built with the safety of the welder in mind and comes with several safety features including a thermal overload system
- It is very easy to get started with this machine given the instruction manual it comes with
- Offers great penetration and clean smooth welds
- Is not designed to work with a generator so it is not suited for outdoor welding
- You will encounter some difficulty with feeding the flux core wire smoothly
- 115 Volts current
- 57 pounds weight
- 5 voltage control settings
- 200 amp heavy duty clamp
- 25 to 140 amperage output
- 50-700 IPM wire feed speed range
It might not be the most lightweight welding machine out there but it is still a worthwhile investment. From my tests, it produced some nice and clean weld. It costs around $600 and has a lot to offer especially for home users. And is, in my opinion, one of the best MIG welders under 1000.
Lincoln Electric K2185-1 Handy MIG Welder
It can handle welding steel of between 24 gauge and 1/8 inch in thickness, which is not bad. More importantly, it has a low input voltage of 115 volts. Meaning you can connect it to any one of your home’s outlets.
How powerful is it?
The first thing you are probably asking yourself is how powerful this unit is. Now I will be the first to admit that with a max output of 88amps it is not the most powerful. Nonetheless, it is capable of handling small welding projects.
This welder is both a flux-cored and MIG welding machine. This means you can shift between the two weld types very easily. With this, you can handle more projects that require different weld styles.
Weighing 46 pounds it is not as lightweight as the previous entry on my list. Nevertheless, it is lightweight enough for carrying around in your garage or workshop. Also, it comes with a handle that helps in its transportation.
- Plugs right into your home or garage’s outlet thanks to its low input voltage
- Comes with a fan cooling system which adds to its lifespan thus improving durability
- The model is constructed from high-quality materials
- While it is not the most lightweight, it is light enough for carrying from one location to another
- Comes with a number of useful extra components such as 6 extra contact tips, and 3 pounds of a spool
- Lacks a gas gauge thus it is difficult to know when you are running low on gas
- Cannot handle larger wire spools such as the 10-pound wire spools
- Fan cooling system that prevents overheating
- 4 voltage settings
- Continuous wire speed adjustment
- Indoor chart for selecting voltage settings
- 115-volt input outlet
Since it works with any home outlet it is an ideal option for mild auto body repairs. For welding hobbyists, it is the best MIG welder for auto body work. It is both a flux-cored and MIG welder, which is great for all-around home use.
Hobart Handler 210 MVP MIG Welder
This Hobart Handler mig welder is the priciest on my list. Costing just under $1000 it is a compact welder. However is it worth its hefty price tag or should you go for more affordable offerings?
Versatile power outlet
One of the best things about this welder is its multi-voltage plug. The latter can work with a 115-volt power outlet as well as a 230 power outlet. When connected with the 230 power outlet you get 7 different voltage settings and 4 different settings for the 115-volt power outlet.
It has an output power range of between 25 amps and 210 amps. This means you can weld almost any kind of metal including stainless steel and mild steel. It can handle 3/8 inch thick mild steel as well as 24 gauge steel.
Resettable thermal overload
The thermal overload system ensures the machine doesn’t exceed the duty limit. Also included is a motor protection feature. The latter protects the motor from problems with the machine. This ensures a longer lifespan for your welding machine.
- With dual-voltage plug, it can be used at home by welding hobbyists as well as in industrial sites by professional contractors
- Very little operator skills are required to run this machine thus is ideal for beginners as well
- The machine produces high quality and clean welds
- While it is not cheap, it costs less than other welders that offer the same features it does
- In addition to MIG welding, it can also be used for flux-cored welding
- May require an additional cart to carry around
- Some users have complained of its cables being too short
- Dual voltage 115/230 volt plug
- 7 voltage and 4 voltage settings
- Quick change drive roll system
- 20% at 90amps duty cycle
- 79-pound weight
- 40-680 IPM wire feed speed range
- 25-210 welding amperage range
It might be the priciest on the list but it’s the best MIG welder under 1000. It has a lot to offer and can handle a host of different welding projects. Thanks to its versatility and dual voltage plug it can be used by both amateurs and professionals.
Lincoln Electric Easy MIG 180 Flux-Core/MIG Welder
One of the best MIG welders for auto body work has to be the Lincoln Electric Easy MIG 180 flux-core/MIG welder. This welding machine is from one of the most reputable welding machine makers on the planet. So there is a lot you can expect from it.
Dual voltage plug
Out of the box, this machine is a flux-core welder. However, it comes with all the nozzles needed for mig welder. This is not the best thing about it though, as that accolade goes to its dual-voltage capability. It can work with both a 208volt output power as well as a 230 output power.
Spool gun included
With the switch of a knob, you can shift from welding thin sheets of steel to aluminum . In addition, the machine comes with a spool gun. This spool gun can be plugged into the machine for optimal welding aluminum .
The machine is made from heavy-duty materials. However, this is not to say it is bulky. Weighing 66 pounds, it is easy to transport. This combined with its dual voltage capability means you can use it at home and at a construction site as well.
- The dual-voltage feature allows you to increase its power or decrease based on your needs
- It can be used to weld thin and thick sheets of steel as well as aluminum
- The machine is very well made and feels sturdy
- It is an easy to use machine
- Comes with a three-year limited warranty
- Weighing 66 pounds it is not the most lightweight welder out there
- Has a max power output of 180 amps which is considerably lower than other similar models
- 50-500 IPM wire feed speed control
- Adjustable drive system for reducing wire tangle and crushing
- Cast aluminum body
- Brass-to-brass wire connection
- 208/230volt power plug
- 100SG spool gun included
Due to its lower power output, it may struggle against thicker sheets of steel. However, for thinner sheets such as auto body work, it excels. It is priced at below $1000 and its dual voltage capabilities are very versatile.
The Best MIG Welder For Home Use
For home use, I highly doubt that you require an expensive and overly powerful model. Especially since most likely your home power inlets have a voltage of 115volts. Ideally, the best welders for home use are machines that can use the 115-volt power outlet.
The two that are most suited to home use are the Hobart 500559 Handler 140 MIG Welder 115V and the Super Deal PRO Commercial MIG 130 AC Flux Core Wire Automatic Feed Welder. These two are both compatible with the standard 115 volt power outlet.
The Hobart is the better of the two as it offers a more diverse range of applications. As such, it is also the costlier of the two. For the increased price you get a better welding machine capable of welding a wide range of metals.
This Hobart model can handle almost any welding task you throw at it from light auto body welding to more demanding farm jobs.
The Super Deal Pro is the more affordable of the two. Priced at less than $200 it has quite an impressive selection of features. One of its selling points is its ease of use, with its control panel, it is very easy to use.
Also, since it is made from a PVC material it is considerably lightweight compared to other models. Thus you can easily haul it from one location to another as the job requires.
So which between the two is the best MIG welder for home use? Well, it depends on what you want. If the tasks you handle do not require a lot of power, then the Super Deal pro is for you. But if you want some bit of extra power, I recommend going for the Hobart 500559.
In essence, the Super Del Pro is the best MIG welder for home use while the Hobart 500559 is the best MIG welder for home shop.
Best MIG Welder For The Money
Value for money is one of the most important factors to consider when shopping for a MIG welder. After all, you expect value whenever you spend your money. Among my top picks, there are two that I believe offers great value for money.
The first one the Weldpro 200 Amp Inverter Multi-Process Welder with Dual Voltage
The latter is a dual voltage model capable of mig, tig as well as arc stick welding. Thus, the $600 plus you spend on it gives you the functionality of at least three welders.
This welding machine is enough and you don’t have to spend money on any other welding machine.
The second one the LOTOS MIG175 175AMP Mig Welder with Free Spool Gun
Costing below the $600 mark it is not as costly as the WeldProo 200. However, it offers you great value for money as it can weld a diverse selection of metals.
As seen in its review above it comes with a spool gun. With it, you can weld aluminum as well as other types of metals such as steel and stainless steel. Thus, it can do all the welding you need doing without you having to invest in a second welding machine.
In a nutshell, these two machines offer exceptional value for money. The WeldPro 200 is the best MIG welder for the money but the LOTOS MIG 175 isn’t so far behind.
Best Mig Welder For Auto Body Work
For auto body work you need a welding machine that is able to weld different types of metals. Vehicles are manufactured from a wide array of metals steel being the most common. Thus, you need a welder that can weld sheets of steel of varying thickness.
The Lincoln Electric Easy MIG 180 Flux-Core/MIG Welder is one of the most powerful welders around. It is capable of flux-core welding as well as gas-shielded mig welding. This versatility is another thing that earns it the title of the best mig welder for auto body work.
It has a powerful 180 amp output and uses an industrial grade 208/230 volt power plug. This translates to incredible power. Which makes it capable of welding sheets of steel 3/16 inch thick. Thus, it can handle any kind of auto body repair work you throw at it.
Built from cast aluminum it is also lightweight and easy to carry thanks to its handle. Compared to others on this list, it is the best mig welder for auto body repair work.
Different welding machines are suited to different welding projects. As such, it is important to choose a welder that meets all your needs. Obviously the more powerful the welder the more you will have to spend.
However, you may not require the most powerful welder out there as it all depends on your needs. Some welders appeal to professional contractors while others appeal to welding enthusiasts and hobbyists. All in all, there is always something for everyone.
Last update on 2021-09-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API